Monday, January 16, 2012

High, Ho, High, Ho, It's a hiking we will go!

“It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.”
Herman Melville

   Ready for another week of work around here. This week I will be getting ready to go check out the TNNA Trade show here in Phoenix this weekend. I have been debating whether to join it or not. So was really glad to get this opportunity to check them out and talk to people that are involved with it. Then I can make an educated decision.
  Since I finished my project last week. I decided I needed a lace break. So I put a new doily design on the hook. Though I haven't had a lot of time to work on in this weekend it is starting to come along like I want. Have frogged more than a couple times to get what I want. Every time I go WHAT IF  in my mind it normally means I will be FROGGING shortly. But I never minded frogging when it's design related. That is part of the trade. And I just don't like to just settle. I want to be proud of what I create. So I welcome my What if button and frog as it dictates.
  We took a great hike on Saturday in the Salt river area. Same area we hiked last weekend. But took a different, longer trail this time. Other than a lot of it was in soft sand uphill it was wonderful. My legs told me about the sand the next day and I rarely get sore from all the hiking. So you know it was a tough one.  Even pip was dragging his little behind by the end of the walk and it was a shorter walk than some we have done. Will we do it again? Of Course. Plan on it when the desert starts to bloom.  We of naturally took a lot of pictures. I am actually getting somewhat more proficient with my camera. Though when I want a really good shot I ask Marv. He still does a much better job than I do. But sometimes I surprise myself and take a shot or two I am really proud of.
Well here are this weekends pictures.
Since I can't share pictures of my crochet I will share pictures of our hikes.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted flowers blooming. I had to take pictures of the lovely red blossoms. No wonder I saw several hummingbirds out and about that day.

The early part of out walk was along the Salt river. Marv caught this neat dead tree in the early morning light.

This is from down on the beach along the Salt River. If you look closely you can see the moon up in the sky. I didn't realize I had caught it in my picture until I was editing them to post. I again was intriqued by the color combinations that I find in nature. I find myself using a lot of these colors in my designing.  We left the river from here and didn't see it again until much later in our hike.

This is a picture looking up the wash we followed for about 2 miles or so. The footing was soft sand.

This is a limestone oven. The used it to cook the natural limestone close to it's source.

We are still reaping the benefits of the rains in early December. Love the green tint to everything. Will miss it this summer I know, But I am enjoying it now.

Once more we are entranced by the power of nature. The Tree grew right around this rock when it was alive. The rock is still trapped in the tree for who knows how much longer in time.


Pip leading us down into a cool shady wash.

Marv caught the beauty of this tree stump. Again the colors are intriguing.

Me showing what a great time we were having.

We ended up coming full circle and the last part of our hike was again along the Salt river.

Another tree gnarl. These are just so beautiful in their own way.

I think this is a Mesquite. But I was trying to capture the colors and the delicacy here.

The afternoon sun striking the mountains. Love the contrast with the tinge of green to the desert.

2 comments:

  1. Great quote! Great photos! Great Pip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your pictures are lovely. I can't wait to see your doily design. :)

    Wishing you a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete